Austin Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorney
With the warm weather and flat terrain in Texas, motorcyclists have ample opportunity to enjoy the serenity and freedom of the open road. Unfortunately, they are also more susceptible to accidents and injuries than passenger vehicle occupants. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that 4,668 motorcyclists were killed and 88,000 were injured in traffic crashes in 2013. In Texas, 495 motorcycle operators and passengers died in traffic crashes, according to the Texas Department of Transportation (DOT).
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced Austin motorcycle accident lawyer. At Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP, you will find a team of five trial lawyers with a record of success for our clients. Our firm was established in 1959 and holds the honor of being the oldest personal injury law firm in our city.
Our accident attorneys have received many distinguished awards for the excellent legal representation they provide. They have been awarded Martindale-Hubbell ® AV Preeminent® Rating, listed among Texas Super Lawyers® and named among the Best Lawyers® by US News & World Report. Our firm has also been listed among the Best Law Firms in the U.S.
When you work with our firm, you can have confidence that you will communicate directly with your attorney and your case will receive the hard work and attention to detail it deserves.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
According to the NHTSA, while motorcycles made up only three percent of the registered vehicles in a recent year, motorcyclists accounted for 15 percent of all traffic fatalities. Per vehicle mile traveled, the number of motorcycle deaths that year was 26 times the number of deaths that occurred in cars, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
Although motorcycle riders themselves sometimes cause accidents, a study published by the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) found that most motorcycle accidents are caused when drivers of motor vehicles violate the rights of motorcycle riders in intersections. This most frequently occurs when a driver turns left into an oncoming motorcycle because he or she failed to see the motorcycle. Researchers found that automobile drivers fail to detect the smaller profile motorcycles in traffic due to lack of caution and awareness on the part of the driver.
Road hazards are another common cause of motorcycle accidents. Because of their smaller size and less stable nature, motorcycles face greater danger from potholes, animals in the road, slick road conditions, gravel, uneven pavement, and other road irregularities.
Injuries from Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, and when they crash, the injuries they sustain can be very serious. Common injuries include:
- Head injuries: This is the most common injury in motorcycle accidents and it includes concussion and traumatic brain injury. Head injuries are often accompanied by closely related neck injuries.
- Injuries to the lower extremities: These injuries include fractured legs, knees, and feet, and scrapes cuts, road rash, and bruising.
- Road rash: When a rider’s body slides across the pavement after an accident the skin can be scraped away, even through layers of clothing. This is a potentially serious condition that can lead to infections and surface nerve damage.
- Biker’s arm: When riders are thrown off their bikes in accidents, the instinctive reaction is to throw out the arms or draw them around the body to lessen the impact of the fall. Permanent nerve damage to an arm can result from landing on it in an accident.
Legal Help for Motorcycle Accident Victims
If you have suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle accident that was not your fault, contact our firm as soon as possible. Our seasoned Austin personal injury attorneys can investigate your accident to determine who was at fault and file a motorcycle accident claim for compensation on your behalf against the responsible party. With Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP, you have a team of dedicated legal advocates on your side.
- NHTSA: 2013 Motor Vehicle Crashes: Overview
- Texas DOT: Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Highlights – Calendar Year 2013
- NHTSA: Safety in Numbers: Motorcyclists
- IIHS: Motorcycles
- S. DOT: Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures