Pedestrian Accidents Keep Rising. Know Your Rights.
As Austin’s oldest and most established personal injury law firm, we have been handling pedestrian accidents for six decades. Put our experience to work for you.
Pedestrian accidents are on the rise in Texas, and the associated risks continue to grow. Here at Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP, we know how dire a pedestrian accident can be. Even at low vehicle speeds, fatal crashes and serious injuries happen all too frequently.
For instance, one study found that when a car is traveling at 20 mph, the odds of a deadly auto-pedestrian accident are just 5 percent. With a small increase to 30 mph — something many drivers barely notice — the fatality risk increases to 45 percent. At 40 mph, the odds of a fatality rise to 85 percent.
Reasons For Fatal Pedestrian Accidents
Why are pedestrians in more danger with each passing year in Austin, Texas? Why do pedestrians account for 18 percent of traffic-related fatalities despite constituting a mere 10.9 percent of traffic? The reasons vary, but can include:
- Distracted driving: While texting and driving or looking at a GPS, motorists simply fail to see pedestrians who are legally crossing the road.
- Turning: A driver who is turning may have a green light at the same time that a pedestrian has a walk signal. Remember, pedestrians have the right of way. This is true even in unmarked crosswalks.
- Focusing on other cars: Many drivers so intently focus on avoiding accidents with other vehicles that they don’t look for pedestrians at all.
- Drunk driving: While under the influence, drivers’ cognitive abilities suffer enough impairment that they do not see pedestrians or leave the road and strike people on nearby sidewalks. Alcohol and driving never go well together.
- Running lights and stop signs: Many drivers who fail to follow traffic signals are speeding, distracted or under the influence.
- Rushing: Drivers are in a hurry. They don’t want to wait for pedestrians to cross the road and attempt to cut between them or in front of them. In general, rushing can make a driver less attentive to his or her surroundings.
In seconds, an afternoon jog or a night out to dine with friends and family can turn deadly. It would seem that with new technology and new laws on the books the safety of pedestrians should be improving. Unfortunately, the statistics tell a different story. The risk of pedestrian accidents continues to rise. Those who are hit and the family members of those who are killed in a pedestrian accident must know their legal rights.
If you have more questions about pedestrian accidents, you can learn more here.
Fighting For You
As the oldest plaintiffs’ personal injury law firm in Austin, Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP, has built a tradition of success handling the most complex and high-stakes cases. Since 1959, our attorneys have achieved results for our clients through hard work and zealous advocacy in the courtroom and at the negotiating table. Honesty, integrity and excellence are our hallmarks. We take pride in providing our clients with great communication, attention to detail and first-class legal representation.
We Earned Our Reputation
Our firm has earned a respected reputation over our years in the courtroom. Our attorneys always fight for clients’ rights. We reject unfair settlements. We understand the real economic impact. We put our clients first, and we know how much these cases mean to them.
We’ve been doing this since 1959, and our experience plays a huge role in every case. If drivers are going to keep putting people in danger, we’re going to keep fighting for justice. We do so with honesty, integrity and an endless commitment to excellence.
Contact An Experienced Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Now
Would you like to speak with an experienced lawyer regarding a pedestrian accident? We’re happy to provide you with a consultation. There’s no obligation to work with us. Just give us a call to learn more about your rights and legal options. Let us help you move forward.