Austin Car Accident Attorneys
For more than five decades, car accident victims and their families in Austin have put their trust in the lawyers of Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP. As the city’s oldest personal injury law firm, we strive every day to uphold our tradition of providing skilled, compassionate service to every one of our clients.If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a crash that was someone else’s fault, you can count on us to protect your rights and aggressively seek full and fair compensation for you.
Contact us today to discuss your case. We can provide a free, immediate consultation. We will take the time to learn what happened to you, review your rights and legal options and explain how we can help you to move on with your life.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident in Austin?
Before you meet with us at our Austin office or at another, more convenient location, you can actually take some steps on your own to help your case. Our car accident lawyers suggest that you:
- Seek medical attention. If you have not already been checked for injuries and treated, go to your regular doctor or to the emergency room as soon as possible. Make sure to follow the doctor’s treatment plan.
- Collect as much evidence as you can. Gather photos that you took at the accident scene, eyewitness contact information, medical bills, car rental receipts and insurance company letters – any evidence related to your crash. Make copies of all documents and keep them stored in a safe place.
- Write down what you recall about the accident. While your memory is still fresh, write down what you were doing before the crash occurred and what happened in the immediate aftermath. You may also want to keep a journal about your recovery.
- Get a copy of your crash report. Contact the local law enforcement agency that responded to your crash or use the Texas Department of Transportation’s online crash report system. You should expect to pay a small fee for the copy.
- Notify your insurance company. Your auto insurance policy may require you to give notice about the crash within a certain number of days – regardless of who was at fault. Comply with the policy – but stick to the facts. Do not give any opinions about fault or the cause of the crash.
- Refer the other driver’s insurance company to us. You will likely be contacted by the other driver’s insurer. Do not give the insurer access to your medical records or give a recorded statement. Do not accept a settlement offer, either. Instead, politely refer the insurance adjuster to your lawyer at Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP.
Above all, we want you to focus on your health and your family. Meanwhile, you can count on us to take care of all of the details that go into properly pursuing a car accident claim.
-Sharon, Car Accident Client
Kevin Henrichson was a great person to work with. He was very fair, understanding, did a lot of research on the car accident, and was professional. Thanks so much.
Discover How Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP Can Help You Recover From Your Car Accident Injuries
In the News
How Can Our Austin Car Accident Attorneys Help You?
You should know what to expect when you work with Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP, on your Austin car accident case. Following your initial consultation, you can count on us to:
- Help with your transportation and medical needs. We know that getting your car repaired or replaced will be a pressing concern. We can assist with your property damage claim. We can also work with health care providers to ensure you get the medical treatment you need while your case is being resolved.
- Begin an immediate investigation. Our attorneys will actually go to the accident scene ourselves to make notes, take photos and gather other important evidence.
- Consult with experts. We work closely with accident reconstruction experts. They can help us to determine the cause of your crash and who should be held liable.
- Deal with the insurance company. We will work hard to prepare your case for victory in court. Doing so will give us leverage when we present a demand to the insurance company (or companies) for a full and fair settlement of your claim.
- Take your case to trial, if necessary. The reality is that we can resolve most car accident claims without going to court. In some cases, we may not even need to file a lawsuit. However, if the insurance company refuses to budge, we will be ready to present a compelling case on your behalf in the courtroom.
- Get your funds to you as quickly as possible. After a settlement or verdict is obtained, steps must be taken to collect funds, resolve liens and, ultimately, disburse the funds you are owed. We will work efficiently. We know how important it will be for you to put this episode behind you and move on with life.
Because we represent car accident victims and their families on a contingency fee basis, you will owe no costs or legal fees unless and until we obtain a financial recovery for you.
How Do We Approach Car Accident Cases?
At Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP, we have experience with handling many types of car accident cases, including:
- Rear-end collisions
- Side-swipe accidents
- T-bone or side impact collisions
- Head-on collisions
- Single-vehicle crashes
- Multiple-vehicle (chain-reaction) accidents
- Hit-and-run drivers.
We believe in investing the time and resources it takes to fully develop a case for settlement negotiations or, if necessary, for trial. When the insurance company sees that we are prepared to present a winning case in court, the insurer will be more likely to agree to a just settlement.
This is why we place a heavy focus on car accident reconstruction – especially in cases that involve contested liability or catastrophic injuries.
We consult with knowledgeable experts who can help us to investigate and analyze a crash. Our focus will be on determining the cause of your car accident, which could be:
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Defective automotive parts
- Poorly designed or maintained roads.
We also work with computer animation specialists and graphics artist to present evidence in the most reliable and persuasive manner as possible. We believe our clients and their families deserve nothing less than an exhaustive effort from our legal team.
What Can You Recover If Injured in a Car Crash?
Depending on the force of impact and other circumstances, a car collision can cause a wide range of injuries, including:
- Head and brain injuries
- Facial scars
- Neck injuries (such as whiplash)
- Back injuries (bulging discs or severe spinal injury resulting in paralysis)
- Internal organ damage.
We will closely review all medical records in your case and consult with experts, including life-care planning specialists, to determine the full extent of your injuries and how they have impacted your ability to work and enjoy your life. We will seek a full recovery of all your damages, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income and diminished future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering (including mental anguish)
- Loss of consortium and loss of services.
If your case involved gross negligence or willful conduct by the other driver, we may also pursue punitive damages, which may greatly increase your financial recovery.
A different set of damages would be sought if the car accident resulted in the loss of a family member. Please see our section on wrongful death to learn more.
While most car accident claims involve seeking a recovery through the at-fault driver’s liability insurance policy, we will explore all other options that may be available in your case.
For instance, if the other driver lacked the insurance coverage required under Texas law or carried insurance that failed to cover all of your losses, we could turn to your own uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) policy.
In some cases, a party other than the driver may be liable for the harm you have suffered. For example, the driver’s employer could be held responsible if the driver was working at the time of the crash. A bar, store or restaurant could also be liable, under certain circumstances, for serving the drunk driver who hit you.
Get Help Today from Our Austin Car Accident Attorneys
Generally speaking, you must file a car accident claim in Texas within two years after the crash occurs. So, please do not delay seeking help from Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP.
We serve clients in Austin and throughout surrounding communities. Contact us today to discuss your case in a free and confidential consultation.
Sources / More Information